This recipe is tasty, easy and packed with incredible flavor! It just takes a little prep with few ingredients to make this colorful and delicious dish. I really enjoy making this recipe because it’s so easy, in fact, I mostly make this dish through the week…you can also prep ahead of time to!
I have used all green peppers in the past, but I think this dish is stunning with red, yellow, green and even orange peppers. The different colored peppers not only add a beautiful presentation, but you can get so many different flavor profiles from the variety bell peppers. These peppers are the vessel for an amazing filling of meat, sauce and gooey cheese….how could that be bad?!
I know I always say that the key to any good recipe becoming a great one is about the quality of your ingredients. I recently discovered the Marketside American Wagyu Beef Patties from Walmart. These beef patties are great and seem to sell out at our local Walmart as fast as they can stock them. They come in 3 1/3 lb packages and that just happens to be the perfect size for this recipe. My family LOVES Cabot Cheese and when I’m cooking any recipe that requires cheese, I always buy a block to shred myself. Most pre-shredded cheeses come with a coating of potato starch. The potato starch is gritty and leaves an oily texture to the pre-shredded cheese which I don’t want in my meal. The Frontera taco sauce adds such a powerful and robust flavor that ties the dish together beautifully.
This dish is a great make ahead especially if you are making it over the weekend. I typically cook the meat and get the peppers filled then place them in the baking dish. I then Put them in the fridge until I’m ready to bake them. Most of the time I just whip this recipe up and bake them immediately, but you could prep them all the way through prior to baking to save some time. Now, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
TACO STUFFED PEPPERS
- 5 to 6 large bell peppers of any color
- 3 1/3 to 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 package Frontera Taco Skillet Sauce
- 1 (8 oz) block of Colby cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully cut the tops off each pepper; remove seeds from pepper and tops. Reserve the tops of each pepper for topping later.
- Add olive oil to a sauté pan and turn pan to medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until they start to turn translucent. Add ground beef; cook until browned. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add sauce to beef mixture and allow to cook for 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Add cheese to each pepper bottom, add meat filling to about half way, add more cheese, top with meat and finally top with a little more cheese. do this with each pepper.
- Top each pepper with its matching top.
- Add peppers to a baking dish. (If you are prepping this meal to bake later; cover with plastic cling wrap and place in fridge until ready to bake.)
- Bake peppers for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.